Sunday, May 22, 2005

"I'm gonna be somebody..."

Arnt-Einar and I went to a local hotel near the airport on Saturday, Rica Hell Hotel, in the little village of Hell... for a country weekend festival. There were a couple of local country bands playing, and they had the 2nd annual national championship in country, for 'undiscovered talent'. This was actually the qualifying competition for Middle Norway, and the national finals the 2nd and 3rd of September in Lofoten Islands, in Northern Norway.

Ok, well, anyway, we went just to watch. I'd seen a poster for it a day or two before, and we thought it would be fun, since we both like country music so much. I thought it would be fun to check it out, and maybe try it out next year. We sat down and waited a while for it to start, when I suddenly got up and asked one of the guys there if it was too late to sign up... (AAAAACK, what was I doing?!?!) and he said, "well of course not! Do you have backing tracks?" Well, I just happen to have a little karaoke cd I made, that I keep out in the car, just to sing for myself when driving sometimes... The only song I remembered the words to was "No place that far" by Sara Evans, a song I sang with Andi in a wedding a couple of years ago. So I chose that one. They interviewed me in front of a camera beforehand, asking me what my expectations were. I said that I didn't have any! I just showed up, and thought it would be a good idea to try singing on stage, since I'm so scared of it!

There were 7 contestants, me, 2 girls and 4 guys. Finally, it was my turn to sing. (What the heck was I thinking...?!?!) Got up there, and sang the song, and it actually went pretty good. But, man, were my knees shaking! I was nervous, but it was so much fun!!! There was another singer after me, and then the jury went out to make its decision. There were a couple of linedance groups, and they danced a bit, and then they came back with their decision. They decided, that the contestant with the most potential, and talent that deserved to go to the finals was...

ME!

Get that! WOW! I couldn't believe it! I totally didn't expect it! It went up, received my award, and was asked to sing my song again. This time people clapped with me, and it was SOOO awesome! But... now I have to sing along with 9 other contestants in Lofoten at the country music festival there, in front of 3000 people, a show that will be aired in october. If I win, I get a record contract! WHOA! Even still, all the 10 contestants will record a compilation cd with our songs. SO COOL!

Oh, well, just thought I'd tell ya all about my weekend. How was yours?!?

9 comments:

Aimee said...

Thanks lady! I'll do my best. :D Still can't believe that it actually happened this weekend. No preparation, just thought it might be fun at the last minute. Whew...

Anonymous said...

Hey, Aimee!

Congratulations! Already talked on the phone with you about this, and really it's not that much of a surprise for me. I know you have a big talent for music and a really nice singing voice.

Now, I guess I have to participate in the Nordland qualifier. My voice has turned more baritone than tenor since I last sang in a chorus, but I guess a Toby Keith song's not out of the question...? Did I hear "Whooooo's your Daddyyyyy...!"

BTW, guess who Kenny Chesney married?

Hugs from
Cowboy Sveinung

Aimee said...

Ugh, I know. Renee Zellweger. Still don't get that one. I laugh hysterically every time I see the pictures!!! Good luck in Nordland!!! :) Come on, I could use some "real competition"!!! ;)

Anonymous said...

What a great story! And I'll be able to say "I knew her before...."

You deserve it, Aimee!

Hey, since I can't download the file, can you bring it with you tomorrow when you come over? That's even better, then I get to see the full-length video as well! (Bring the whole camera and the cables so we can plug it into the TV...)

See you tomorrow.

The other Amy

P.S. Good luck in your Nordland qualifier, Cowboy Svein....can't wait to see both of you in Se og Hør! ;-)

Aimee said...

If you check out http://nmcountry.no/fotogalleri.html you can see the photos they're posting of the finalists. Can't wait to see my competition!

Anonymous said...

"The other Amy" :-D

I guess you guys have to make distinctions like that... How's "The other Einar"? Tell him hi from me!

Thanks a lot, Amy, not sure if I have Aimee's nerves or knees. ;-) Se og Hør is nothing! Unless I get the front page of the Enquirer and E!, I'm not happy. Imagine VH1 doing a "Before they were famous"...

But, seriously, at least I'm thinking about it. Might be my last chance to Nashville stardom, heheh...

Maybe I'll see you guys this weekend?

Cowboy Sveinung.

Anonymous said...

WOWWWWWW!! YOU GO GIRL!!!
I am so proud of you to just go up there and do the thing u are so good at!!!!!

YOU ROCK!!!

I could only view a small part of the video but it sounded great!! Next time try to show a little more convident!! You are soooo good!! Show everybody you love being there on stage!!!!XXXXX

SUPER Ai-mang-ee!!

Anonymous said...

WOWWWWWW!! YOU GO GIRL!!!
I am so proud of you to just go up there and do the thing u are so good at!!!!!

YOU ROCK!!!

I could only view a small part of the video but it sounded great!! Next time try to show a little more convident!! You are soooo good!! Show everybody you love being there on stage!!!!XXXXX

SUPER Ai-mang-ee!!

Anonymous said...

WOWWWWWW!! YOU GO GIRL!!!
I am so proud of you to just go up there and do the thing u are so good at!!!!!

YOU ROCK!!!

I could only view a small part of the video but it sounded great!! Next time try to show a little more convident!! You are soooo good!! Show everybody you love being there on stage!!!!XXXXX

SUPER Ai-mang-ee!!