Tuesday, March 08, 2005

The job front…

Taking a 5 minute break from ‘work’…my internship at Stjørdal’s City (county) Hall (which performs the political and administrative duties in the entire county). I’ve been here for 3 months now, and just got it extended 3 more months, all the way to June. I’m working in the culture department, which includes all work with youth, theatre, outdoor activities, day care, social services, etc… all run by the county. Most of my work is designing websites and brochures or other print material, but I’ve been trained at our local movie theatre (one screen, run by county) and I start next week at the library. There I’ll do more design, but also learn how the place runs and learn how to check out books, etc. I’m still working a couple of days a week at the local youth center (county) which is basically just a club house for teenagers to hang out, play cards, play pool, playstation, karaoke, dance, and they even have their own little café. It’s really a great offer to the kids in the community. I’ve started also on Monday nights working extra with a 13 year old boy that needs a little extra attention with social skills, etc.

And in June is when I start my REAL JOB! Yea!!! Finally, I found a job! It’s for a small local paper in a neighboring town called Frosta. Frosta is famous for its summers and produce, especially strawberries… they have the biggest, juiciest reddest strawberries I’ve ever tasted or seen! Wish I could send some to KC! J I’ll be driving out there (25 miles) 3 days a week, which leaves me 2 days a week here in Stjørdal, where I’ll hopefully work at the Stjørdal Museum or at City Hall in one way or another.

Spare time, you ask? Been keeping myself busy trying to read books, both in English and Norwegian for language preservation. ;) Also, I took over as editor of our local neighborhood newsletter, which I’m trying to send out 3 to 4 times a year. Arnt-Einar and I joined the local chapter of the American Car Club, called Hell Cruisers. (Hell being the name of a small town where Trondheim Airport is located). I’ve taken over design and maintenance responsibilities for their website. Take a look! :) Should be fun!

Arnt-Einar’s been teaching himself Photoshop (with a little coaching from me) , and has gotten quite good since he’s been home sick this last week! He’s been using his new found skills to design hotrods (paint-jobs and customizing). He’s so into hot rods, you should see his designs!!! Not going to post them here, however, they’re secret for now!

Better get back to work…more later. Happy Monday!

No comments: